Monday, August 17, 2015

Exemplary



I want to tell you about two exemplary sisters who are role models for my life. The first is my very good friend Krystal Bowen. We were in the same freshman ward at BYU and became friends as she helped me cope with the death of my uncle by inviting me to attend the temple with her every week. She has always been a spiritual giant for me. Towards the end of the year, she received her mission call to the Argentina Posadas mission. She was due to report to the MTC in June 2014. I remember her telling me about her mission - she was so excited: "Half of the mission is in Paraguay!" and I was like, "Oh, that's nice."


But life doesn't always go as planned, as Krystal soon found out. She tore up her knee playing Frisbee and had to have some rather severe surgery to fix it. The mission would have to be put on hold for at least a year as she endured surgery and then months of therapy afterwards. The chances of her being called to the same mission were slim to none.

In the meantime, I received my mission call to the Argentina Posadas Mission. "Hey, that's Krystal's mission!" I said.

A year went by, and one day I received an email from Krystal. "I just wanted to let you know that I was once again called to the Argentina Posadas mission and enter the MTC June 30!" Despite all the trials, Hermana Bowen arrived in the mission field last week, ready to work hard and serve the Lord. She is exemplary.


Still best friends  (Hna Bowen)
The other exemplary sister is my new companion, Hermana Castillo. She is from Lima, Peru. She is the tenth of eleven children in her family. Hermana Castillo joined the church when she was sixteen years old. She was the only member of her family to join the church, with the exception of one sister who is now inactive. Ever since that time, she has felt a strong desire to serve a mission. When the age changed and she could leave at age 19, she began to prepare herself. "No, don't go!" her family told her. "You are right in the middle of your schooling. Stay and at least finish your degree!"

"All right," she agreed. "I will finish my degree."

As the end of her schooling drew near, she once again began to prepare to serve a mission. "No, don't go," said her family. "You have just finished your degree. You need to get a job!"

"No!" she firmly told them. "The Lord has asked me to feed His sheep. I am going on a mission." And that was that. 

¡¡¡Mi Hija!!!  (Hna Castillo)
There you have it. Two exemplary sisters who have pushed through trials and difficulties to answer the call to serve the Lord. May we learn from their examples to be valient in the service of God.

Love,

Hermana Watts

La Zona Iguazú  (before transfers)
¡Feliz Cumpleaños!  All five of us have August birthdays 

The trainers and new sisters (there was also a large group of elders who arrived, but sisters are more important haha)







1 comment: