Monday, January 19, 2015

Encarnación

¡Saludos de Paraguay!

I had quite the adventure travelling to Posadas, but I am finally in my mission!  (YAY!!)  My first area is a city called Encarnación, which is right across the river from Posadas.  It's the closest a missionary can be to Posadas without actually being in Posadas.  Which means I'm not in Argentina anymore, I'm in Paraguay!  And everyone here speaks Guaraní.  Actually, being so close to the border of Argentina, everyone speaks Castellano, with a few Guaraní words thrown in here and there.  The language is crazy!  My first day proselyting I had no idea what anyone was saying.  Everyone speaks so quickly and the accent takes some getting used to.  But after a few days, I've become somewhat accustomed.  I can now understand people about 62% of the time.

My trainer is darling!  Her name is Hermana Sorenson and she is from Springville, Utah (la fábrica).  She is so cute.  Every time she introduces me to someone, she tells me, "____ is one of my favorite people ever!"  We get along great, and she really knows what she's doing.  She's been in the mission a little over a year.

I love this city!  (But it is super HOT!! Fortunately we have air conditioning in our pension.)  There are so many flowers and trees and green things here!  And the people are wonderful.  Everyone is so friendly and warm and welcoming.  In a lot of ways, Paraguay reminds me of Mexico.  But it's its own city.  I can't wait to show you pictures (once I figure out how to work these computers haha).
Shout-out to my father, who will be celebrating his birthday on Wednesday!
I want to end with my new favorite scripture, Mormon 5:23 - "¿No sabéis que estáis en las manos de Dios? (Know ye not that ye are in the hands of God?"  With God on our side, we can do anything!

Love you all!

Hermana Watts

1 comment: