Monday, January 26, 2015

Allegory of the Cave

Saludos a todos!

Since arriving in Paraguay, I`ve had a lot of adventures.  I got pegged squarely in the back of the head with a water balloon (nice shot, kid!).  My companion and I joked that a water balloon is at least better than half chewed mashed potatoes.  My neck is now a vibrant shade of red, thanks to the lovely Paraguayan sun.  And my self esteem is on a record high, since every man I pass feels the need to compliment my beauty.  Thanks, guys!  Haha, the mission is great!

I was thinking this week about Plato's Allegory of the Cave.  He talks about men held prisoners in a dark cave, where the only world they know consists of distorted shadows and echoes.  Imagine taking a prisoner out of the cave and exposing him immediately to the brilliant midday sun.  The light would blind him!  He would cry out in pain and beg to return to the dark cave that is his home.  But eventually, he would adjust to the light.  He would begin to see the beautiful world.  And he would realize that the world is so much more than distorted echoes and shadows.  He would be so excited that he would run back to the cave to tell his friends.  But they would not be able to comprehend him, because to them, he would appear to be just one more of many distorted shadows and echoes.

That's how the gospel is.  So often we talk with people here in Paraguay, and they feel the Spirit, or in other words, they are exposed to the light.  It seems the automatic response here is oh, I already have my church.  I'm Catholic.  They cringe away from the light because at first it is frightening and uncomfortable to them.  But if they would just stay long enough to adjust to the light and see the beauty that the light brings, they would be so happy!

Absolute truth exists.  And it is glorious and beautiful and brilliant.

Love,
Hermana Watts

Short Video of Plato's Allegory of the Cave:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTWwY8Ok5I0


No comments:

Post a Comment